This recipe comes from our dear family friend, Pat. Whenever she hosts a dinner party, she always serves the most amazing food and far too much wine – the latter I’m not necessarily complaining about, although the next morning might be a bit difficult. In a word, what comes to mind to describe this dish is, ‘elegant’. The red color of the beets combines with the green lime zest to create an aesthetically pleasing and wonderfully bright and balanced dish. Beets with Lime Butter is an elegant dish, without the complicated components that generally accompany such a combination. Try it at your next dinner party or any other night of the week.
- 3 Tbs butter
- 1 1/2 pounds beets, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1/2 tsp lime zest, grated
- 1 Tbs fresh lime juice
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beets and lime zest, stirring until the beets are crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in the remaining butter, lime juice, salt, and pepper.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.