Who doesn’t LOVE French fries?! I’m mean come on, I don’t care if you’re a health nut, ‘my body is a temple’ type – you will inevitably sneak a fry from time to time. The secret to making great fries is all about the texture. You want a fry that is slightly crisp on the outside and creamy on the inside. To achieve this, is to cook them twice. First at a low temperature to blanch the potato and then for a second time at a higher temperature to crisp up the outside. Fries go so well with a multitude of condiments- sprinkled with Old Bay, dunked in ketchup and/or mayonnaise, plunged in curry sauce, or doused with malt vinegar. But my all-time favorite way to eat them, is to dip them in Sriracha Aioli – a rich and creamy sauce with a hint of garlic and a touch of heat. It’s the perfect compliment to golden delicious fries.
- 4 Russet Potatoes, peeled
- 1 quart peanut oil
- kosher salt
- Peel and rinse the potatoes. Cut the potatoes into 1/4-inch planks, then cut each plank lengthwise into 1/4-inch sticks. Place the fries in a large bowl of cold water and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to overnight.
- When you’re ready to cook the fries, heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed pan to 325 degrees F. As the oil is heating, drain the water from the bowl containing the fries and pat them dry with paper towels.
- Working in small batches (about a handful at a time) carefully add the fries to the oil. Turn the fries gently to ensure even cooking. Cook for 3-4 minutes and remove with a spider or slotted spoon. Lay the fries out on a sheet pan lined with paper towels – the fries will still be light in color and pliable.
- Increase the heat to 375 degrees F and fry the potatoes again, in batches, cooking for 2-3 minutes, or until golden. Remove the fries using the spider or slotted spoon and allow to drain on a sheet pan with fresh paper towels. Season with salt immediately. Serve right away and enjoy!
Slice the Potatoes into Planks: Slice Each Plank into Sticks to Create the Fries: Place the Fries into a Bowl of Water: Gently Add the Fries to the Hot Oil: Lift the Fries Out of the Oil: Allow the Fries to Cool on a Sheet Pan Lined with a Paper Towel: Add the Fries to the Oil for a Second Fry, Season with Salt, and Enjoy: