Making your own croutons is not only super easy and fast, they taste better than the store bought variety. You can use fresh or stale bread, just be sure to use a fine-grain bread that yields a soft and light texture, such as good quality white bread, brioche, or a French baguette. Add your Garlic-Saffron Croutons to any soup or salad to add extra flavor and texture.
Slice the Crust Off and Cube the Bread:
Mince the Garlic and Measure the Saffron Threads:
Add the Bread Cubes to the Pan of Garlic and Saffron Infused Oil:
Bake the Bread Cubes Until Golden Brown and Crispy:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 slices of good quality white bread, crust removed and cut into 1/3 inch cubes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large saute pan over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Crumble the saffron and add the garlic. Gently cook for about 1 minute to infuse the oil with the saffron color and garlic flavor. Watch your heat; saffron and garlic can burn quickly.
- Add the bread cubes and toss to coat.
- Spread the bread cubes on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp.