A FOOD52, COMMUNITY PICK – SPICY TUNA BURGERS
Summer calls for burgers. However, with the heat and humidity on the rise, I didn’t feel like having something heavy such as a traditional beef pattie (although those are super delicious). I was craving something light and healthy yet packed with flavor – Spicy Tuna Burgers…those will do just nicely. This is isn’t your basic bland canned tuna sandwich you may have found in your lunch box as a kid. This my friend, is on the other side of the spectrum. We’re using fresh sushi-grade tuna mixed with familiar Asian flavors such as ginger and scallions, using avocado as a binder, seared on the outside, still pink on the inside, topped with a wasabi-lime mayo, and crispy romaine lettuce tossed with an tangy-salty-sweet dressing. Finally, the burgers are cradled by a toasted sesame seed bun. These Spicy Tuna Burgers are light, full of flavor, and sure to satisfy your summer burger craving…without packing on the pounds.
- TUNA BURGER:
- 1 pound fresh sushi-grade tuna fillet
- 1 scallion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 1 Thai bird chile, minced
- ½ avocado, mashed
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 sesame hamberger buns
- WASABI MAYO:
- 1½ tablespoons wasabi paste
- ½ cup mayonaise
- 1 lime, juiced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 2 limes, juiced (about 4 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1¼ cup romaine lettuce, shredded
- Cut the tuna into a ¼-inch dice and add to a large bowl. Add the scallion, cilantro, ginger, chile, avocado, salt, and pepper. Gently work with your hands to incorporate all of the ingredients. Divide the contents of the bowl into 4 equal portions and shape into 1-inch thick patties. Cover and refrigerate for 2o minutes and up to 2 hours.
- In the meantime, make the wasabi mayo. In a small bowl, add the wasabi paste, mayonnaise, lime juice, and ginger. Stir well to combine. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Just before you’re ready to cook the tuna burgers, make the dressing. In a medium-sized bowl, add the lime juice, fish sauce, orange juice, rice vinegar, and garlic. Stir well. Toss in the shredded lettuce to coat. Set aside until ready to use.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the tuna burgers, 2-3 minutes per side – don’t overcook the burgers or they will be dry. Transfer to a clean plate to rest.
- With the remaining oil in the pan, toast the hamburger buns for 1 minute. Add more oil if needed.
- To assemble, place the burgers on the bun bottoms. Top each with wasabi mayo and dressed lettuce. Cover each burger with the bun tops and serve immediately.
Cut the Tuna into a 1/4-inch Dice:
Mash the Avocado and Prep the other Ingredients:
Add the Burger Ingredients to the Bowl and Mix Well:
Form the Tuna Mix into Patties:
Make the Wasabi Mayo:
Make the Dressing for the Lettuce:
Cook the Tuna Burgers:
Toast the Buns:
Assemble the Burgers: