Considering that Valentine’s Day is just a few days away and the pre-Lenten partying is in full swing – why not indulge with a sweet and decadent Strawberry French Toast. Serve with maple syrup if you like, but really it doesn’t need a drop. This French Toast sandwich (if you will), is stuffed with cream cheese, strawberry preserves, and macerated fresh strawberries. Topped with sour cream, more strawberries, and fresh mint – it’s amazing!
Strawberry French Toast
Author: Kathleen | Hapa Nom Nom, Adapted from, Grilled Cheese 50 Recipes to Make you Melt
Recipe type: Breakfast
- 10 ounces strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 5 tablespoon sugars, divided
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup whole milk
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- pinch of ground cardamon
- 8 slices of challah bread or brioche, sliced ¾-inch
- 6 ounces soft cream cheese
- 6 ounces strawberry preserves
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- ½ cup sour cream
- small bunch of mint, cut into a chiffonade
- In a bowl, combine the strawberries, 1 tablespoon sugar, and lemon juice. Toss to combine and set aside to macerate.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the eggs, milk, vanilla, and cardamon. Whisk well to combine. Set the mixture aside.
- Thickly spread 4 slices of the bread with cream cheese, slightly tapering towards the edges so the cream cheese doesn't seep out while cooking. Then spread the other 4 slices with the strawberry preserves and some of the macerated strawberries (reserve some of the macerated fruit for topping). Place the cream cheese slices on top of the strawberry slices, and press firmly.
- Heat a heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter per sandwich in the pan. Dip each sandwich into the egg mixture and let it soak - about 45 - 60 seconds per side. Place each sandwich into the hot pan and cook until golden-brown, about 1 minute per side.
- Slice each sandwich in-half and plate. Add a dollop of sour cream, some of the macerated strawberries, and mint. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Kartheek Hegde says
I’ll always love a good French Toast! I actually have all the ingredients and I can’t wait to try this out! Cheers!
Hope you’re having a great time in Germany Kathleen! Spending V-day on the train sounds so romantic and it’s a lot of fun!
The French toast is so adorable, and goes wonderful with some sparkling! Love the pictures 🙂
Thanks, Maggie! We’re having a fantastic time in Germany! V-Day on a train does sound romantic, doesn’t it? Not so in our case – our experience was more like a scene from Planes, Trains, and Automobiles 😉 But we’re here now, and having a blast! And getting some great ideas for dishes to make when we get back home 🙂
This French toast looks divine! I love how you are using mint chiffonade in this recipe.
Thanks! I think the chiffonade kinda visually jazzes it up a bit 😉
This sounds soo good for a Valentine’s Day Breakfast. Love french toast.. pairing it with strawberry it’s awesome.
Thanks, Ella! French toast is one of my favorites for a Valentine’s breakfast 🙂
Hey Kathleen, this french toast looks amazing!!! Love it! Need to make some tomorrow! I hope you guys are having a great time 🙂
We’re having a great time! Thanks. Mira. And I hope you enjoy!
Allie | Baking a Moment says
I can’t think of a better way to indulge before Lent! This looks amazing and soooo indulgent! I love that you added sour cream. I hope you have a wonderful time on your trip! I’m jealous but I will live vicariously through you and look forward to hearing all about it when you get back!
Thanks, Allie. We’re having a great time! I’m already compiling a list of inspirational dishes from the area 🙂
Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom says
I’ve totally been indulging these past couple of weeks so what’s one more weekend? 😛 Wow, you’re in Germany!!! So fun!!! and fasching sounds so fun!!! carnival season, woot woot!! hope you have a great time!
I like the way you thing 🙂 There’s always one more week…right? Fasching was incredible- truly an amazing experience – I’ll be posting photos soon.
Meggan | Culinary Hill says
So I was thinking strawberry French toast sounded pretty good, but yours is stuffed, too! Amazing! Happy V-day and enjoy your trip. 🙂
Thanks Meggan! I hope you and your family have a wonderful Valentine’s as well <3
Marissa | Pinch and Swirl says
Well this may be the best French toast recipe ever!! Yum!
You’re as sweet as this Strawberry French Toast, Marissa 🙂