Finally! After a month being in the throes of a cross-country move, our stuff has arrived in our new home; it’s unpacked, somewhat put away, and most importantly… I have my kitchen back! The rest of the house may look like a bomb of packing paper and boxes exploded, but my kitchen is organized and ready for some serious cooking.
There was only one dish I wanted to christen my new kitchen with – Truly Crispy Oven Baked wings from my lovely and talented friend, Nagi of RecipeTin Eats. Her incredible and comprehensive Baked Wings cookbook contains thirty-three fabulous ways to prepare earth-shatteringly crispy baked wings, complete with useful tips, and stunning photography. It was the perfect meal to celebrate our new home.
The first time you try this recipe for truly crispy oven baked wings, you will be floored. They are so crispy, it’s hard to believe they aren’t deep fried – Nagi
My friends, you can take that statement to the bank. I’m gonna tell you right now, her baked wings are seriously crispy! There was an audible and very distinct ‘crunch’ when I bit into it and I thought, holy sh*t that’s crispy!
A few of Nagi’s tips for making truly crispy baked wings:
- Make sure you use baking powder, NOT baking soda. If you use baking soda, they will be inedible.
- The drier the wings, the crispier the skin – so either allow them to dry out on a rack in the refrigerator overnight or throughly dry them with paper towels.
- Toss the wings well so that the baking powder and salt distributes evenly.
- Don’t worry about crowding the baking sheet. The wings will shrink as the fat under the skin melts.
- 4 pounds chicken wings
- 2 tablespoons baking powder (NOT baking soda)
- 1 3/4 teaspoon salt
- oil spray
- [b]Smoky Spicy Chipotle Dipping Sauce:[/b]
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 chipotle chilies + 1 tablespoon adobo sauce from the can
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place a wire rack on a baking sheet and lay the wings out onto the rack. Allow them to dry out in the fridge overnight. Alternatively, pat them dry with paper towels.
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F. Put one oven shelf in the lower quarter of the oven and one in the top quarter.
- Place the wings in a large zip-top bag. Add the baking powder and salt. Shake the bag to coat the wings evenly.
- Line a baking sheet with foil. Spray a rack with oil then place it on the lined baking sheet. Place the wings skin side up on the rack. Bake on the lowest shelf in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Then move the tray up to the top shelf and turn the heat up to 425 degrees F. Continue to bake for 40 – 50 minutes, rotating the tray halfway through. The wings do not need to be turned over. They are ready when the wings are dark golden-brown and the skin is very crispy.
- While the wings are finishing up, pureé the ingredients for the dipping sauce until smooth.
- Serve the wings immediately with the Smoky Spicy Chipotle Dipping Sauce and enjoy!