This Sriracha Aioli recipe is fantastic on sandwiches, veggies, even eggs! It has just a subtle smokiness with a nice bite from the garlic – so delicious!
I love aioli, of all types. Though making your own aioli (like mayonnaise) calls for raw egg yolks. Food safety in mind, I prefer to temper my eggs in a double boiler, much like one does when making hollandaise sauce. Alternatively, these days, you can purchase pasteurized eggs in most grocery stores. However, if you cannot find pasteurized eggs or don’t care to purchase separate eggs than you already have in your refrigerator, tempering your eggs is a good way avoid potential food complications.
Use a Double Boiler to Temper the Egg Yolk:
Whisk Until Creamy:
And Garlic, Drizzle in Oil, add Sriracha:
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 Tbs lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- pinch cayenne
- 1 tsp sriracha, or less to taste
- In a double boiler over medium heat, add the egg yolk and lime juice and whisk constantly until thickened, about 5 minutes. Once thickened, removed the bowl insert from heat and continue whisking.
- Add the garlic, salt, and 1/4 tsp water.
- Slowly drizzle in the grapeseed oil and olive oil while whisking constantly until thicken and emulsified.
- Add the cayenne and sriracha and stir well to incorporate.
- Season with salt and pepper.