A few months ago I posted this Chicken Satay Recipe, it has since become an addiction. “What do you want for dinner?” “What do you want to make this weekend?” “What do you have a taste for?” Invariably the answer was, “Chicken Satay!” I couldn’t get enough – I wanted more.
Like any good junkie ‘chasing the dragon,’ I needed a bigger high – the satay alone was no longer enough. I needed to take it to the next level – kick this dish into the next gear and take this baby off-road. Thinking of new ways to feed my addiction, I thought of making a Chicken Satay Pizza. Why not? There’s BBQ Chicken Pizza and that’s amazing! I’ve even seen a Thai Chicken Pizza, although I didn’t want ‘Thai-like‘ flavors. I wanted, quite literally, authentic Chicken Satay on a Pizza. When I proposed the idea to my husband, he looked at me like I was crazy and then said something to the effect of, “That sounds disgusting.”
Confident a Chicken Satay Pizza would be delicious, I pressed on and boy am I glad I did! It was awesome! Even my husband (O ye of little faith) had to eat his words, so to speak. He took one bite and immediately I could see by the expression on his face, that I had hit this one out of the park.
I’ll be honest, this dish takes some time – so it may be better suited for the weekend or a day when you have nothing but time. Certainly, you can use any leftovers from the Chicken Satay recipe to expedite the process, but honestly if your household is anything like mine, you’ll not only not have any leftovers, you’ll be licking the plate clean. Either way, it’s worth it!
Using a Paper Towel, Gently Squeeze the Buffalo Mozzarella to Remove Excess Moisture:
Slice the Buffalo Mozzarella 1/4 inch Thick and Press Between Two Paper Towels to Remove Even More Moisture:
Prepare the Remaining Ingredients for your Mise en Place:
Place the Dough in the Center of a Lightly Floured Work Surface:
Lightly Flour the Top of the Dough and then Roll or Toss the Dough to 1/8 inch Thick:
Place the Dough on a Pizza Peel or Cutting Board and Brush with Olive Oil:
Place the Pizza Dough Oiled Side Down on the Pizza Stone and Brush the Top with Remaining Oil:
Add the Toppings to the Pizza Crust:
Place the Pizza Back in the Oven and Cook until the Cheese is Ooey Gooey:
Top the Pizza with Toasted Sesame Seeds and Cilantro:
Serve and Enjoy!
- 8 oz refrigerated pizza dough (not the kind in a can)
- 2 – 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour (for rolling out the dough)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ⅓ cup satay sauce, drained if needed
- 1 cup provolone, shredded or thinly sliced
- 1 – 8oz ball buffalo mozzarella, sliced ¼ inch thick and patted dry
- ¼ cup ajad, drained
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cups chicken satay, shredded
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves, torn
- Place a pizza stone or large oven tray in the oven. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Once the oven has reached the temperature, it will take another 15 minutes for the pizza stone to heat up.
- Refrigerated pizza dough generally comes in a 16 oz ball, in that case, simply halve the dough and wrap and refrigerate the unused half. Place the working ball of dough on a lightly floured work surface. Roll out the dough with a rolling pin or toss the dough with your hands to approximately ⅛ inch thick, dusting with more flour as needed. Once you have reached the desired thickness, drizzle or brush the top of the dough with 1 tablespoon of the oil.
- Slide the rack out of the oven. Pick up the dough along the edge and in one motion, quickly lay the oiled side down onto the pizza stone. Oil the other side (now the the side facing up) with the remaining oil and slide the rack back into the oven. Close the door and bake for 6 – 8 minutes, or until lightly browned (err on the lighter side). Use tongs to transfer the crust to a peel or baking sheet.
- Spread the satay sauce evenly over the pizza. Then layer the provolone, mozzarella, ajad, green onions, and chicken. Using a pizza peel or wide spatula, return the pizza to the pizza stone in the oven and cook until the bottom is well-browned and cheese has melted, approximately 4 minutes.
- Carefully remove the pizza from the oven using a peel or wide spatula and transfer to a cutting board. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and cilantro. Serve hot.