Raise your hand if you love French fries.
Is that just about everyone? I don’t know about you, but I will finish off my cup of fries in the car before I even get home! Sometimes I even start dipping into my husbands stash… shh, don’t tell him!
Fries boarder on what I would consider a controlled substance. I can’t eat just one…box! I thought making my own at home would help feed my addiction (literally), but really it’s just more work than it’s worth. Frying in all that oil, keeping the correct temperature, never walking away from the burner for fear that you may start a grease fire, etc. Additionally, fries from your local fast food joint are so cheap, why not just let them make them?
Enter the baked “fries”. This is where the tables turn.
- They’re easy to make
- You don’t have to deal with all of that oil = less fat and calories
- You can set a timer and then attend to other items
- They’re crispy on the outside
- Tender on the inside
So the “double garlic” feature in this recipe is garlic-infused olive oil, in which the fries are cooked. By the way, you’re entire kitchen will smell like roasted garlic – YUM! Then the garlic you used to infuse the oil, is sprinkled over top of the finished fries along with thinly sliced scallions. Dip those babies into some Sriracha-mayo and you’ll be in fries heaven!
- 3 Russet potatoes
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- oil spray or extra olive oil for brushing
- Kosher salt
- 3 scallions, green parts only, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- Peel and rinse the potatoes. Cut the potatoes into ¼-inch planks, then cut each plank lengthwise into ¼-inch sticks. Place the fries in a large bowl of cold water and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to overnight.*
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a small saucepan, warm the olive oil over low heat. Add the garlic and allow the olive oil to infuse for 2 – 3 minutes. Using a fine meshed strainer, strain the garlic from the oil. Set aside, and do not discard either.
- Drain the water from the bowl containing the cut potatoes and pat them dry with paper towels.
- In a large bowl, add the dried potatoes and drizzle 2 tablespoons of the garlic-infused oil, ½ teaspoon of salt, and toss together. Line a baking sheet with foil and liberally spray with oil. Spread the potatoes evenly out onto the baking sheet, leaving space in between each potato stick. Bake, turning occasionally, for 25 - 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the mayo and Sriracha in a small bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- In the same large bowl you just used to toss and coat the fries, add the minced garlic, scallions, and the remaining tablespoon of garlic-infused oil. Add the cooked fries and toss to coat. Taste and add more salt if needed.
- Serve with the Sriracha-mayo and enjoy!
* Adapted from Ellie Krieger, Garlic "Fries"
Amy l worthyoursalt says
fries with scallions and garlic oil?? yes please! this looks amazing, can’t wait to try out the recipe 🙂
Thanks Amy! They’re definitely addictive 😛
Beeta Hashempour says
Oh my gosh – YUMMMM! I love French fries too and find them totally addicting. Baked fries are always such a great alternative to restaurant fries, and I love tha tyou added garlic and scallion for lots of amazing flavor!! Great video too, Kathleen <3
Omg, I have a serious addiction to fries, so baking them was a near necessity for me 😉
Help me. I need those immediately. I am in love with fries and my baked ones never work that well!!! So soaking overnight in water, hmm? OK. I am about to head to shops and potatoes just got added to the list!!!
Yes, definitely soak in water – it helps to make them perfectly crispy 🙂
Wow Thank you Kathleen for sharing this! I no longer have to get fast food fries when my daughter begs me to get fries because she has been craving it :D. Baked one is way healthier! We are going to try this this weekend:D and Love your Video<3
That’s great! I hope you enjoyed them <3
I just raised both of my hands because I am a french fry lover!! I’ll eat all the fries and not share with anyone, especially if they are garlic fries. Thinking of making these for dinner tonight 😉
Lol! I’m just picturing what would happen if the two of us were in a room with a batch of garlic fries 😉
We love fries around here and oven baked are my favorite! Awesome video, pinned and shared!
Thanks so much, Mira 🙂 xxoo
Traci | Vanilla And Bean says
Hooray for oven baked fries!! They are sooo worth the extra little step of soaking to make them extra crisp and then there’s the dipping sauce. Sublime together! Love your addition of garlic and scallions at the end.. that little extra something take these fries over the top. Then your video. Kathleen. It is so well done. I’m completely inspired. I shot my first food video last week and I’m just learning how to edit it. It seems overwhelming while cooking to take photos and shoot video. I think I need to start with something simple while getting my feet wet! Will you give Arlo and Otis a good ear scratch for me? Your assistants are so sweet! Thank you for this my dear!
Ooo… I can’t wait to see your video! I started easy too – as you said, to get your feet wet. They really are a lot of fun once you get the hang of it 🙂
I’ll definitely give the boys a scratch for you <3
Anu - My Ginger Garlic Kitchen says
I am just crazy about anything garlic. And these double garlic fries are speaking to me. Absolutely yummy share, and that video is too good, Kathleen. Happy Weekend my dear! 🙂
I’m all about lots of garlic 🙂 Hope you have a wonderful weekend too and Happy St. Paddy’s Day!
First things first…Hi, Otis and Arlo!! Okay – now these fries and that video…I don’t know what I enjoy more…we’ll call it a tie! Another fabulous recipe, and just so you don’t feel alone…I steal from my hubby’s fries too! 😉 shhhh…
Lol! I wouldn’t be surprised if fries are the most stolen food item from loved ones 😛
Cheyanne @ No Spoon Necessary says
Hahahaha! Fries are like a controlled substance, huh? Except are they controlled? Because I have zero self control around them. 😉 LOVING these fries, girlfriend! Garlic infused olive oil?! OMG, geeeeenius! I want to eat a few vats of these crispy delicious fries for breakfast… and then again for lunch and dinner. Gimme gimme! Cheers, Kathleen! <3
Ha! I guess that’s why controlled substances are regulated by someone other than yourself 😛 Have a happy St. Paddy’s day my dear!
Helen @ Scrummy Lane says
Hi Kathleen! I make my own baked big fries all the time, but have never thought to make french fries. Why oh why? These look and sound So good! I’d need that whole plate to myself, thank you, but they’re baked, so yay, no guilt!
Just love the double garlic trick as well! 🙂
Off to post your amazing video on Facebook!
Yeah… I DID eat the whole plate all by myself (sheepish grin) 😉 Thanks, Helen!