Healthy and filling – this Soba Noodle Salad with Walnut Pesto is an easy way to get a good dose of greens in a delicious way!
I LOVE spring! I love that first really warm day after months of cold and grey. I love all of the flowers that bloom, the new green leaves that fill-in the bare trees, and that first day that you can open up all the windows and let the breeze carry the aroma of spring throughout the house is the best! Don’t you think?
My love affair with the season extends to the plate. I want to eat what I see, which means lots of fresh greens! And boy, oh boy does this noodle salad come packed with plenty of that! Arugula, haricots verts, peas, avocado, and dressed with pesto… how’s that for some greens?! Shave a little Parmigiano-Reggiano and grate a little lemon zest over top and you’ve got one incredible spring-time bowl!
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 2 garlic cloves
- ¼ cup walnuts
- ½ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, freshly grated + shaved for garnish
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 12 ounces buckwheat noodles (4 bundles)
- ½ pound haricot verts, halved crosswise
- 1½ cup fresh or frozen peas
- 2 cups arugula, thick stems removed
- 1 Hass avocado, peeled and cubed
- 1 lemon, zested
- To make the pesto. Add to the bowl of a food processor, the basil, garlic, walnuts, and parmesan. Pulse while slowly adding ½ cup olive oil until smooth and desired consistency. Add the salt and pepper and pulse a few more times to incorporate.
- Bring a large saucepan of unsalted water to a boil. Cook the soba according to the package directions (about 4-5 minutes). Drain and rinse the noodles under cold water. Toss the noodles with 2 tablespoons of the pesto.
- Fill the saucepan back up with salted water. Bring to a boil and add the haricot verts and peas. Cook for 3-4 minutes, until tender. Drain well and add to the noodles. Add the remaining pesto and the arugula. Season with salt and pepper and toss again.
- Plate the noodles and top with the avocado, lemon zest, and shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano. Serve and enjoy!