If I have a ton of work, soba noodles are one of my go-to quick meals. In cases such as this, I simply garnish the noodles with some sliced scallions and prepare a little bowl of soy sauce and a touch of sesame oil for dipping – that’s it, done, slurp down some noodles, and get back to work.
If you have a little more time, and I’m not talking hours here – maybe 30 minutes, you can jazz up soba with shrimp, edamame, carrots and scallions to create a healthy and flavorful bowl of noodles.
This is my favorite ways to prepare shrimp – a wonderful marinade of orange juice, lime juice, soy sauce, Sriracha and fresh garlic – it’s sweet, savory, and packs a little kick. The carrots and edamame are quickly stir-fried in a garlic and ginger oil. Toss it all together with the soba noodles and top with scallions and red pepper flakes, and you’ve got a meal that’s delicious, filling, and still… a fairly quick dish.
- 4 bundles of soba noodles (about 12 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- ¼ cup + 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce, divided
- 3 tablespoons ponzu
- 1 pound shrimp, 41/50 count (medium), peeled and cleaned
- ¼ cup orange juice, preferably fresh
- 1 lime, juiced and zested
- 6 garlic cloves, divided (mince 4 cloves, crush 2 cloves)
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1-inch ginger, peeled and cut into ⅛-inch coins
- 2 large carrots, julienned
- 1 cup edamame, thawed and shelled
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 scallions, green parts only, thinly sliced
- Bring a large pot of unsalted water to a boil. Cook the soba according to the package directions. (Usually 4 - 5 minutes). Drain and rinse the noodles under cold water. Add the sesame oil, 3 tablespoons soy sauce, and ponzu. Toss to combine and set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl add the shrimp, orange juice, lime juice, zest, garlic, ¼ cup of soy sauce, and sriracha. Place in the fridge and allow to marinate for 15 minutes.
- While the shrimp are marinating, cook the veggies. Add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil to a large saute pan over medium-high heat. When the oil is shimmering, but not smoking, add the 2 crushed garlic cloves and ginger. Saute for 30 - 45 seconds (do not let it burn). Remove and discard the garlic and ginger. Add the carrots and edamame. Tossing and string frequently, cook until tender, about 6 -7 minutes. Transfer the veggies to the soba noodles and toss to combine.
- Using the same sauté pan over medium-high heat, add the remaining tablespoon of vegetable oil. Remove the shrimp from the marinade and add them to the pan. Tossing frequently, cook for 2-3 minutes, or until just cooked through.
- Add the shrimp and crushed red pepper to the noodles and veggies. Toss to combine. Serve warm or chilled and garnish with sliced scallions. Enjoy!